Sunday, June 10, 2012

General Tso's Chicken

This is one of my husband's favorites!  We used to get Chinese take-out every Friday night... When we started trying to cut back, take-out was the first thing cut.  I tried so many different recipes trying to find one that tasted just like the Chinese take-out.  I accumulated quite the collection of Asian ingredients that I will probably never use again.  Each recipe was good, but nothing like take-out.  Finally I discovered the "missing ingredient".  Hoisin sauce!  I have no idea what it is, or what is in it, but it's the perfect consistency to make really good General Tso's.

I always serve this dish with rice-- either fried rice or a Knorr's Rice Side.

Step One:  Marinade Chicken
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1&1/4 cup water
ground ginger to taste
1 lb chicken breast

 

Whisk these ingredients together in a container that has a lid.  Add 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces.  Close the container and refrigerate for at least one hour.

{I usually get this ready around lunch and let it marinate until supper time}



Step Two:  Coat Chicken
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
chicken from marinade

In one bowl whisk egg whites until foamy.  In a second bowl, mix cornstarch, flour, ginger, and baking soda until well blended.  Remove chicken from marinade (but keep the marinade!).  Pat chicken dry with papertowels.  Dip chicken in egg whites and dredge through flour mixture.  

{I usually have a lot of extra flour mix when I'm done, so I freeze it for next time}

Step Three:  Cook!
olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
ground ginger, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
marinade from chicken

In a medium sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat.  Add 4 chopped cloves of garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes to the oil.  Cook until fragrant.  Add marinade from chicken to sauce pan.  Cook until sauce thickens and darkens, whisking often.

{I can't eat this if I use more than a sprinkle of pepper flakes!}


In a skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.  Add chicken to oil and cook for 5 minutes.  Turn chicken, add more oil if needed, and cook until no longer pink (165 degrees).


To Serve:
When the chicken is cooked and the sauce is done, combine the two in the saucepan to thoroughly coat the chicken.  Serve over rice with stir-fry vegetables.  


Enjoy!!





Blog Button Final Covered in Grace Photobucket Growing Home Photobucket a-wise-woman-builds-her-home amothersheritage.com I Was Featured On...

12 comments:

  1. New follower from covered in grace. Love your title of your blog. That's totally me! Love for you to follow back and link up to Mom's MOnday Mingle. Love to have you!

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to get this all the time with Chinese take-out, as well! I can't wait to try it, as I know my husband would love it. Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) Let me know how it turns out!!

      Delete
  3. I have been searching for a good general tso's chicken recipe. I will be trying this in the very near future. Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO delicious--just like the "real" thing! Bookmarking for later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely does look better! I would love a plate right now, please :) Thanks for linking up with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely pinning this one! We love General Tso's chicken, and this looks yummy. Visiting from Adventurez.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We LOVE general tso's chicken, will be trying this one for sure. Eating out has been one of the ways we've cut back as well, so this will be a real treat for the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! My husband loves General Tso's chicken takeout, I may have to try this to impress him at home and save the money on takeout, thanks for sharing with us at Workin' It Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited to see this recipe! I am definitely going to have to try it soon! Thanks for linking up at Thrifty Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete